For the academic year 2023-24, Rice University will contribute $2,248 toward the cost of annual premiums for students who meet the eligibility requirements for the subsidy.
Students must meet ALL eligibility requirements to receive any of the subsidies:
- Full-time Doctoral student
- Within the first eight years of graduate study at Rice University
- Enrolled in the Rice medical insurance plan
- Insurance costs are not covered by a third party, such as an outside fellowship
Full-time doctoral students are eligible for the subsidy whether or not they receive other financial support from the university.
The premium, subsidy, and net cost to qualifying students with the subsidy are:
|COVERAGE PERIOD||COVERED||PREMIUM||SUBSIDY||NET COST|
|Annual||One Child *||$3,139||$785||$2,354|
|Fall only||Student only||$1,313||$1,007||$236|
|Fall only||Spouse/Domestic Partner||$1,313||$329||$984|
|Fall only||One Child *||$1,313||$329||$984|
|Spring/summer only||Student only||$1,827||$1,499||$328|
|Spring/summer only||Spouse/Domestic Partner||$1,827||$457||$1,370|
|Spring/summer only||One Child *||$1,827||$457||$1,370|
For any questions regarding the subsidy, please contact the Office of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies.
* Premium is per child; however, no additional premium is charged if more than two children are covered. The doctoral medical insurance subsidy will be extended to both the first and second children.
To file any qualifying event, including the birth of a newborn, please email email@example.com
Both the insurance premium and subsidy will be prorated by Rice.